I recently watched the TV Week Logies on Channel Nine and
learnt something which I had never considered before. Many of the awards were
presented to programs which I had hardly heard of, let alone seen. I realized
eventually that these programs were presented on the ABC or SBS, channels which
I rarely watch except for the nightly news. So, it was quite fitting that in
the next lecture of the JOUR1111 course, we learnt why ABC and SBS are often
dominated in the ratings by channels such as 7, 9 and 10.
Image sourced from: http://thiang.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/commucation-in-the-media/
In the nightly news, the ABC, as a public media station,
does not advertise their other programs and, as such I had never heard about their
other programs unless I watched the channel more often. So, with this being the
general basis on which public media is built, is it detrimental not advertising
their own channel during other programs? After last week’s lecture we learnt
that, while consumers would prefer not to be interrupted by ads during their
favourite program, commercial media has shaped the way in which we watch
television today. Nigel Milan, former Managing Director of the SBS, effectively
describes the distinction between both Public and Commercial media:
“The difference between commercial broadcasting and public
broadcasting is the difference between consumers and citizens.”
Public media exists to support both public and demographic
processes and should have “Public Value”. However, there is evidence that
suggests Public Media may be surrendering to the pressure of commercialization.
For example, the establishment of ABC stores around Australia is an element of
commercialism entering the sphere of public media. Perhaps the pressure has
amounted from the general consensus that public media is said to be "boring and elitist".
Public media however, does demonstrate strong values when relating to its
general function and communications styles including: ‘The Press’,
entertainment, utility, social and propaganda.
Image sourced from: http://www.cartoonaday.com/media-blackout-on-wall-street-protest-cartoon/
Like commercial media, there are many challenges which
public media faces such as producing quality on a low budget, making their
programs relevant to mass audiences as well as informing the public; to name a
few. Public media is not owned by the government however, they do face political
pressures different from commercial media which faces commercial pressures.
Learning about both forms of media has made me more aware of
the reasoning behind their operation, presentation and content. I think it is
safe to say that, regardless of your favoured media form, television would not
be the popular entertainment form it is today, if it wasn’t for the competition
and variety presented by the media.


No comments:
Post a Comment