I’ve always been a visual learner. So, I found it
particularly difficult to understand every aspect of Lecture 5 of the JOUR1111
course. I listen to the radio every day, but for some reason when it came to
having to understand and take notes on this sound lecture, I admit, I did
struggle.
The previous lecture was all about visuals and pictures in
journalism; so, it was ironic that, the very next week, we were given no
visuals at all. I found it hard to, take in what both interviewees were saying,
while also attempting to visualize them.
(RICHARD FIDLER)
Image sourced from: http://www.abc.net.au/local/img/podcasts/versions/conversations_600x600_20090928.png
The first interview featured Richard Fidler, an ABC radio
presenter of the show ‘Conversations’. He explains how radio is a far more
intimate medium than television and is not talked at you but instead comes from
your head. Fidler says that it is important, as a radio interviewer, to let
your interviewee talk and not prompt them too much. When asked about advice which
he would give young journalists he said:
“Worldliness is good, read the paper, be open-minded, expose
yourself to the thoughts and ideas of people who you don’t agree with.”
I thought this was quite interesting because, often we tend
to ignore or immediately challenge the views of others if they are not the same
as our own. However, his idea would allow for a greater understanding of
opinions on different issues and this is definitely important in the field of
journalism.
(STEVE AUSTIN)
Image sourced from: http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200703/r131605_4829926.jpg
We next heard from Steve Austin of ABC local radio
Queensland. Austin offered valuable tips on interviewing and what you must know
as an interviewer. He said that you must pursue what you want to find out and,
if you’re not sitting directly with the person, empathise with them in order to
gain their trust. He also explained how listening implies respect; similar to
Fidler’s view that radio interviewers should not say much at all. Both agreed
that where people choose to expose a story without realising, you should let
them talk. Austin was asked what the components of a good radio story are. He replied:
“Being human and searching or exploring for the full gamut
of human experience.”
This, I feel, is exactly how a journalist could learn most
about their interviewee; by being open to listening and learning. After this
week’s lecture, I learnt that often radio journalism is just as valuable as
television journalism and offers just as much insight. It also got me thinking
about the difference between TV interviews and radio interviews. Generally,
radio interviews are played live on-air; therefore, interviewees would possibly
be more likely to expose stories in a radio interview. They know that there is
a smaller chance that their interview will be edited and their words manipulated
or misread, unlike what can happen in TV interviews.
So, is radio a diminishing form of journalism? Certainly
not.


No comments:
Post a Comment