Friday, April 27, 2012

JOUR1111: Assessment 2- “No-one’s a stranger; you just haven’t met them yet.”


Imagine this… You wake up every morning over 3000kms away from your real home. You work long days and at the end of every night you Skype your 6 year daughter and family back home through an unreliable connection and distorted image. You return home once a year for two weeks to visit your family before traveling back to work to make money to support your daughter. 

Meet Neela. This is her life.

At the end of last year, completing school was my first priority and a feat which I thought would be a significant challenge in my life. So, it was ironic to learn that in order to discover the real challenges which people face every day; I had to travel to a faraway land, barely visible on your average world map. 

When my family and I first decided to travel to the Maldives in January 2012, I expected a luxury holiday, lazing on the beach and eating lots of food. I never imagined that I would learn so much about a life outside of my own, in the most amazing way. 

For those who don’t know about the Maldives, don’t worry, you’re not the only ones. A small pod of islands located between Asia and South Africa, the Maldives is known by many as a must-see destination and after spending 10 days there, I discovered why.

  Map showing the Maldives.  
Image courtesy of: http://www.eifl.net/system/files/201105/maldives_location_worldmap.jpg

After leaving our home and traveling to the airport on Monday night, the 9th of January, my family and I boarded the 11:45pm flight direct to Singapore. You always know you are going to have a great trip when your captain informs you at the beginning of the 8 hour flight that they are expecting 2 hours of severe turbulence. Not quite the news I wanted to hear, but there was inevitably no turning back; quite literally. At this stage we were heading for take-off so, there was genuinely nothing I could do. I was dreading the flight and grew increasingly nervous as I waited for the final 2 hours of the flight when we experienced… no turbulence, none; I had worried for nothing. 

We finally arrived at Singapore airport after a… calm flight and waited at the airport for 4 hours before we boarded a connecting flight to Male, the capital of the Maldives. Male was not quite what I had expected. We stepped onto the tarmac, into the heat of the day before heading towards the small building which, I soon learnt, held customs. After traveling through the bustling Singapore Airport and into the secluded Male Airport, the contrast was incredible. However, this part of the journey was necessary as I could see that regardless of the fact that we were only a 4 hour plane flight from Singapore, we already seemed worlds away.   

After a short speedboat ride from the airport; beyond the picturesque blue waters and seclusion, we arrived at our resort, greeted warmly by the friendly staff on the island. 

  The view of the resort as we arrived. 

It was here that I noticed the first significant difference from my world and theirs; their hospitality was like no other. Hundreds of staff lived on the island and worked hard to make our experience memorable. The largest numbers were the staff who worked on the gardening and general maintenance of the island. Every morning they would rake the sand evenly across the entire island and water the plants because, well let’s face it, it’s quite difficult to grow anything in sand. The majority of the gardeners were local Maldivian people and some could not speak English very well. However, every morning, passing them on our way to breakfast they would stop what they were doing to simply look up and say “Good morning.” In fact, this happened whenever and wherever you went on the island. They had a completely different approach to hospitality than in Western culture. They treated us as though it was their privilege to have us, not that we should feel privileged to be there. One morning, a man even stopped a phone conversation just so that he could smile and greet us. This got me thinking. Regardless of their lives, away from their families, working hard every day, they still manage to remain positive and appreciative of the fact that they have a job at all. This was quite different to my own life in which, many times you meet people in their jobs who really would honestly prefer to be… anywhere else. However, they get to travel home every night to their family and live relatively comfortably. How is it that our values could be so different from theirs? 

After a few days, we started getting to know many of the people who worked on the island and they shared their stories with us. Abdulla is a local Maldivian who cleaned our rooms every morning and night at the resort and every night he would give us the lowdown about the weather the next day. One night, we were explaining to Abdulla where Australia was on the world map, so Mum showed him on her iPad. He smiled and said: “I have the iPad as well. But not the iPad 2, just the iPad 1.” The fact that he had an iPad was interesting enough, let alone him knowing that the iPad 2 existed. We thought we were teaching Abdulla something new by showing him an iPad, but in fact he taught me about how small our world really is. He then went on to describe how he plays PlayStation with many of the other workers in their rooms on the island and I was amazed to hear that they are all just like us. It was in this moment that I realized how technology has connected the world. Whether you live in the Western world or in a third world country like Abdulla; technology is universal. Technology has allowed Abdulla and Neela, along with many others, to connect with their family regularly and has enabled third world countries to develop and advance through the use of technology and a closer connection to the first world. 

 Abdulla.

As for the invaluable learning experience of the Maldives… After complaining about the plane flights, turbulence and jet lag, among many other things, I have realized that so many of the people who we met, would love to live the life I do, in the country that I do. Neela works at the resort spa and her story alone has proven to me that, no matter how tough things may seem, I can guarantee that it is nothing compared to what so many have to go through every day of their lives. I have realized that I only face ‘first world problems’ and, although our destination was world class, I was able to appreciate my life simply through my interactions with the local people. I didn’t need great food or beautiful accommodation to show me that; I just needed a reality check from real people with real stories.
 Great Food...

Beautiful Accommodation...

One particular moment which inspired me was when, on our second last night, we met one of the management staff at the resort. He told us all about his life and the people he had met before coming to the Maldives; including how he had been a butler at the Gandhi household. But, one thing he said struck me and is something which I will never forget as it is especially important for me as an aspiring journalist:        

“No-one’s a stranger; you just haven’t met them yet.”


No comments:

Post a Comment