Friday, April 20, 2012

Hungry for the Hunger Games?

The Hunger Games, in case you haven't heard, seen or read, is a story about a somewhat futuristic competition in which competitors are young adults who, quite literally fight for their lives in front of a TV audience, until only one survives. After reading all three of the Hunger Games novels, I was excited to see how they had been translated into film. I'll admit, I'm not one to wait in line for hours or stay up late to watch the premiere of a much anticipated film; but I did see the movie after a couple of weeks of its release. I was pleasantly surprised.

 Image sourced from: http://crazystupidposts.tumblr.com/post/13634768362


Often book-to-film adaptations can disappoint viewers, though I have to say that I was very impressed by the Hunger Games movie. While some are skeptical about whether the hype was worth the wait, I think it stayed as true to the book’s intentions and style as possible. One critique, which is obvious in other reviews I have read, is that the camera work and technique was quite dramatic and shaky. Movies use this style to make audiences feel that they are with the character, every step of their journey and feel that they are more engaged with the film and characters. However, these criticisms got me thinking. Do audiences really need to feel that they have stepped into the movie? After all, we do watch movies on the big screen to momentarily escape reality. Is it essential that, for the 2 hour movie our reality shifts to the on-screen drama? Is it not enough that we sympathize with the character’s emotions and now we are being taken on their journey?
I suppose this is largely a matter of opinion. Once I eventually got used to the unique camera style, I was able to enjoy the movie without being distracted by the making of the film and rather focused on the story itself. While I was not shocked by the concept, having already read the books, I do remember initially being quite surprised that the controversial novel was so popular. The book concept presents a “commentary on a culture led by political interests and placated by reality TV” (http://hungergamesmovie.org/category/suzanne-collins/). It wasn’t until I thought about the whole ‘Hunger Games’ idea that I thought, our society isn’t much different from the ruthless Capitol which finds entertainment in others struggles. Though the connection is much less severe, we watch shows like ‘Survivor’ which, much like the Hunger Games asks competitors to “outwit, outplay and outlast.” Are we not supporting a similar ‘game’? While people’s lives are not necessarily risked through ‘Survivor’, we find a sense of enjoyment in watching people struggle, fight and ‘shaft’ other tribe members which all ties into the manipulation also existent in the Hunger Games. 

So, while the Hunger Games is a controversial and seemingly cruel concept, it only reflects the radical side of competitions we already endorse. 

 Video sourced from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfmrPu43DF8
  
Find more reviews about the Hunger Games here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hunger_games/


No comments:

Post a Comment