This is it. Our final lecture for the JOUR1111 course. I
feel I have learnt so much about the field of journalism through this course; but,
of course there was one last topic to ‘investigate’.
This week for our JOUR1111 lecture, Bruce decided to
slightly change the topic from ‘Political Economy’ to Investigative Journalism,
which I was excited to hear about. Each form of journalism is different and
investigative journalism has always seemed to me to be very intense and often
risky. So, it was interesting to hear about the profession from the viewpoint
of journalists themselves such as Ross Coulthart who said:
“Isn’t all
journalism meant to involve questioning investigation of facts and opinions
presented to us?”
Ross Coulthart
Image sourced from: http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/people/article/-/5289027/ross-coulthart/
Bruce introduced us to the theory surrounding Investigative
Journalism and the words which put the ‘in’ in Investigative. These words
described Investigative Journalism as ‘Intelligent’, ‘Informed’, ‘Intuitive’, ‘Inside’
and ‘Invest’. We also thought about the importance of this style of journalism and
why it is relevant in our world today. An interesting avenue which was looked
into during the lecture was whether Wikileaks could be considered a form of journalism.
Julian Assange
Image sourced from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jul/14/julian-assange-whistleblower-wikileaks
Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks, has become a
somewhat household name; but I did find myself wondering whether he could in fact
be considered a journalist. Obviously, being an aspiring journalist, I would
like to think that all journalists work for the good of the people whose stories
they are privileged to be telling. So, having to consider whether such a
controversial figure is, in fact, a journalist I found quite difficult.
Image sourced from: http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/n/news_room.asp
At the end of this lecture, like any other, we were taught
about the threats which Investigative Journalism faces. Again, we were warned
about the possible threat placed on Investigative Journalism from online news. These
threats included the fact that online news is leading to less money which
means, less journalists and, in turn, less investigative journalism. Another threat
includes the growth of PR and how that, consequentially, shrinks the possibilities
of journalism. As a final note, before we were dismissed for the last time from
JOUR1111, Bruce explained the future of Investigative Journalism and how YouTube
is contributing by creating a channel specifically for Investigative Journalism
related videos.
Throughout the duration of this course, I have learnt
fundamental skills and information which will help me in further journalism
studies and into the workforce.



No comments:
Post a Comment