Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lecture 2: Journalism Vs. The Web


Who would have thought there are three versions of the web… Well, honestly, before reading about them for our second JOUR1111 lecture, I had no idea. Having developed from a largely information-based web, it was interesting to see how, in such a short space of time we have been able to progress into one which embraces social media and finally into a form which aims to make sense of the content posted online. During our second JOUR1111 lecture I felt intrigued, yet concerned at the fact that, as a society, we are slowly losing the traditional elements of the web and, in turn, losing the traditional means of journalism. I am constantly amazed at the rate at which technology evolves and, for me, this was another example of the technological world in which we live. However, I would be lying if I didn’t admit that the stunning rate of this progression is simply quite frightening.
But… let’s be honest, we were all interested by what was in the big yellow envelopes. The one way to win the hearts of uni students… Jellybeans! While having jellybeans given to us and then taken away was upsetting for most, I understood the meaning of the exercise and how the mere fact of ‘Entitlement’ could be the death of Journalism. Dr Redman proved how, the way we were feeling after having our jellybeans taken away from us, is exactly the way in which readers will feel having to start to pay for their electronic news.
I found myself questioning the future of Journalism as we heard about how online journalism and the instantaneous spread of news could affect the future of other forms of news. I thought:

“What opportunities are there for us as young journalists, if people feel ‘entitled’ to get their news for free?” 

Image sourced from: http://www.walkleys.com/gallery/90
 
Once again, Dr Redman explained how there are solutions to these issues. He explained how Rupert Murdoch aims to bring back subscription model newspapers. However, there is continued speculation as to whether people will want to pay for their news, which they feel they are ‘entitled’ to. I do admit, it is concerning to hear about the problems facing the future of journalism especially when we are all starting our journey into discovering more about the field. However, who’s to say that the future of journalism won’t be as progressive and exciting as its past?

No comments:

Post a Comment