Though I admit to feeling slightly daunted, Lecture One of
the JOUR1111 course is not one which I will soon forget. Like many students,
fresh out of high school, I definitely felt a mound of pressure in deciding a
path for tertiary study and, in turn, my future career. Journalism has always
been something which interests me so I was excited to start learning about what
it means to be a Journalist. Something which I hadn’t considered specifically,
but which became very clear after this first lecture, was the obvious passion
which Journalists have for their line of work. It’s not necessarily always
about working to make money, but it’s about working to make a difference. Dr
Redman highlighted the passion of Henry R. Luce, American Publisher and Editor,
who said:
“I became a Journalist to come as close as possible to the
heart of the world.”
I felt inspired after hearing this from such a dedicated
professional; however, we were then told a quote from a respected actress Tina
Fey who said:
“…egomaniacs of average intelligence or less, often end up
in the field of TV Journalism.”
Image sourced from: http://www.coolchaser.com/graphics/tag/Anchorman
I was taken aback by this statement and was once again
nervous as to whether I had made the right decision in choosing Journalism as
my potential future career.
However, as Dr Redman continued the lecture I was convinced
that while Journalism may be viewed by certain people, in certain ways, the
opportunities to learn and grow from it as a career seem endless.

No comments:
Post a Comment